PhD position: Improving ventilators – enhance ventilation safety by means of integrated pressure sensors
The Product Development Group Zurich is focusing on interdisciplinary and system-oriented research in the field of mechanical and biomedical engineering.
We work on new medical devices and develop novel in-silico, in-vitro, and in-vivo testing methods. This entire testing chain allows us to create and improve biomedical devices in a realistic and efficient way. All projects take place in close cooperation with clinicians.
For further information
- Watch youtu.be/74pDhUlZsbI Example: Physiological Adaptation of Ventricular Assist Devices
- Visit www.pdz.ethz.ch/research/biom Institute website of the Biomedical Systems group
- Visit www.ethz.ch/en/news-and-events/eth-news/news/2020/05/testing-ventilator-systems Current project on testing low-cost ventilators
Mechanical ventilators are critical in the treatment of patients with severe illnesses like COVID-19 that may cause an acute respiratory distress syndrome. Special circumstances during pandemics and for low-income countries may encourage the acceptance and use of low-cost ventilators with a reduced functionality. Among other problems, there are great concerns that the use of such simplified ventilators may result in lung tissue damage. In this context, monitoring and ultimately controlling the pressures applied to the lung tissue are of critical relevance. Furthermore, precise pressure regulation is also relevant for other medical applications, such as ventilation of premature infants.
- Analyzing, testing and understanding current low-cost ventilator systems
- Characterization and development of an enhanced ventilator system including the respective testing platform
- The enhanced ventilator system shall enable the integration of additional sensors
- Modelling of the biomedical system and development of the controller
- Conducting in-vitro and in-vivo experiments of the enhanced ventilator system
- Building a network with research groups working on low-cost ventilators
Candidates should be highly motivated and have recently obtained a master degree in mechanical or biomedical engineering, with outstanding grades. Candidates should have a strong interest in interdisciplinary research and experimental work. Experience in the field of modelling and control, data analysis, designing and building technical systems is essential. Experience with in-silico, in-vitro, in-vivo or clinical experiments is beneficial.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Letter of Motivation
- job references and certificates
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about the Product Development Group Zurich can be found on our website www.pdz.ethz.ch. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Dr. Marianne Schmid Daners, Tel +41 44 632 24 47 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications) or Prof. Mirko Meboldt Tel +41 44 632 72 38 or email@example.com (no applications).
پیشنهاد مطالعه: پرداخت اپلیکیشن فی
فاند دکتری مکانیک دانشگاه ETH